16 Aug Case Study: Latergramme Renaming and Identity
“Saying less and doing more.”
Latergram.me was a startup weekend success story. The Instagram scheduling tool has a loyal, growing user base and a highly recognizable name that reflects exactly what it does. Except it doesn’t anymore (reflect what it does that is). A year after its conception ability to schedule Instagram posts is just a small part of the plan to provide a single source to manage your visual identity across all social networks.
So the challenge is, how can you update a name that has recognition, works well, says what it does when what you’re doing is more than can be said in a name? How much of the name do you keep or is it a break from the (albeit short) past. We considered the current audience and the much larger potentially new audience…
We started with the Latergramme DNA, what it is, and what it wants to be. The 16 strands of DNA lead us to attributes like dynamic, bright and colourful, flexible but clean and collaborative.
After we established what we were aiming we went to town on the naming. Boy did we, through a combination of collective brainstorming, individual reflection, concept mapping and guided exercises we generated close to 230 option over three rounds. Each round was followed by evaluating, filtering and testing. We literally thinned the herd each time. We removed species of “hawks” and “goats” and kangaroos (or maybe crickets, we’re still not sure where Posthopper fit) and even “gators” (a LaterGator in fact). We launched fireworks – but the name “Hanabi” fizzled out. We crossed deserts that featured the occasional “Tumbleweed”. We traversed galaxies and left behind space related names and constellations and Norse myths. When we finally came back to earth we had a short list that included variations on the term later as well as a couple of other ideas.
OK. So we spent a lot of time on the name, but getting Later.com was a slam dunk once we did the full circle. When you spend a lot of time in one place, it always comes our of another. To say the word mark design was done under some pressure would be accurate.
We managed a two step process, initial discussion, scratch board of logos and three recommendations. We pushed each of the final three to see the potential.
Then we evaluated.
The final choice came down to appropriateness, the pixel version, versus pure strength of the frame.
In the end the selection was made based on the flexibility of the system that the pixel version of the logo presented.